What is an Illustration
1. This is an illustration in the form of a poster or ad for the 1971 movie, “Such Good Friends.”
2. The illustration is of a woman’s legs lying down. This described the basic theme of the movie, which is sex.
3. The sender of the message is the movie, itself.
4. The intended audience of the sender is moviegoers and the general, adult public.
5. The purpose of this illustration is to get the audience to see the movie.
6. The communication that the illustration has between the audience is that the movie is sexy and maybe a bit dangerous.
7. The illustrator was Saul Bass. He lived in New York but started his work in Hollywood. He was a filmmaker and a graphic designer. He is more famous for his logos and his animated title sequences for films.
8. This poster may have been made in a screen-printing process.
9. I chose this illustration because it was simple and to the point. I have never seen or heard of the movie before I saw the poster and yet I still had an idea what it would be about. After reading the plot to the movie, itself, I think that the design is even more successful in its objective. The poster alone still makes me want to see the film, even though it sounds terrible.
